Herndon Optimist Youth Flag Football (HOYFF), is a member sports league of the Herndon Optimist Club of Herndon, Virginia. We are a recreational, developmental youth flag football league run entirely by volunteers. The HOYFF Board, Coaches, and Team Managers are people in your community who share a commitment to giving back to their community and improving the lives of children in our community.
All boys and girls in grades K thru 8 for the 2021-2022 school year are eligible to play in the league; players are grouped into divisions based on their grade (K-2, 3-5, 6-8). There are no geographic or school attendance boundaries.
Coaching is a volunteer position and training is provided. For grade K-8 teams, Head Coaches must be at least 18 years old and Assistant Coaches and Team Managers must be at least 14 years old as of October 1, 2021. See our volunteer registration description for more information.
Referee is a paid position and training is provided. Youth referees must be at least 12 years of age as of October 1, 2021 and in grade 7. Youth referees will be assigned to games in grade divisions below their school grade. Adult referees must be at least 19 years of age as of October 1, 2021. See our referee registration description for more information.
Player Evaluation (Combine): Saturday August 28. Players perform throwing, catching, and speed drills to determine their athletic ability. All players who attend the combine are placed on a team. Players who do not attend the combine will be waitlisted or assigned to a team by the Commissioner.
Practices: Start week of September 6 assuming we have enough coaches for each division; Practices are held one night a week for 1.5 hours at a Herndon-area school field; Indicate your child’s available practice nights in the registration.
Games: Saturdays September 18 through October 30 or November 13 (depending on how many teams are in a division); Games are held at Herndon-Reston area sports fields; Indicate your child’s available game periods in the registration - coaches in each division will make the final decision on game period.
- Regular Registration Fee: $120 through August 27
- Late Registration Fee: $130 starting August 28
- Multi-Player Family Discounts: $10 for 2nd player; $20 for 3rd player; $30 for 4th player
- Includes one mouthguard, flag belt, game shirt, and shorts (pocketless shorts required for safety reasons)
- Player must provide own socks, cleats (no metal spikes), and water bottle
Registration Fee Payment Options
- Credit/Debit Card
- Scholarship (Fairfax County Residents Only; Player Game Shirt/Shorts payment is still required)
- Head Coach Fee Waiver (Only one child per Head Coach; Player Game Shirt/Shorts payment is still required)
Registration Fee Refunds
- If a player withdraws and notifies Registrar at least 5 days before the first game day of the season, all Registration Fees paid will be refunded
- If a player is waitlisted and not placed on a team prior to the first game day of the season, all Registration Fees paid will be refunded
- If a player or family is removed from the league for refusing to follow Code of Conduct Rules or Health and Safety Protocols, no Registration Fees will be refunded
- If Fairfax County or Town of Herndon cancels our access to field space, the amount of Registration Fee refund, if any, will depend on the costs already incurred by the league
Health and Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our Coaches, Players, and Referees are our highest priority. All participants must commit to following Virginia, Fairfax County, and Herndon Optimist Flag Football Health and Safety Protocols or should not register for our program this year. If after registering, participants refuse to follow the Health and Safety protocols, they will be removed from the program with no refund of fees paid. The following are our current protocols, subject to change based on evolving Virginia and Fairfax County guidance:
- Spectators will be encouraged to wear a face covering (nose and mouth) and maintain a six-foot distance from others not residing in their household
- Players and Referees will be encouraged to wear a face covering (nose and mouth) and maintain a six-foot distance from other participants not residing in their household when not on the practice/game field; Players and Referees will NOT be required to wear a face covering (nose and mouth) while playing on the field during practices and games
- Coaches, Team Managers, and Field Supervisors will be encouraged to wear a face covering (nose and mouth) at all times while on the field and whenever possible maintain a six-foot distance from other participants not residing in their household
- Players and Referees will be required to bring their own water bottle to practices and games, and will not be allowed to share personal attire, equipment, or water bottles with others
- Coaches or Team Manager will provide team balls and periodically clean with disinfecting wipes the team balls and any chairs or tables used by the team during practices or games