Herndon Optimist Youth Flag Football (HOYFF) is a member sports league of the Herndon Optimist Club of Herndon, Virginia. We are a recreational, developmental youth flag football league run entirely by volunteers. The HOYFF Board, Coaches, and Team Managers are people in your community who share a commitment to giving back to their community and improving the lives of children in our community. Our program focuses on skill development, equitable player participation, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
All boys and girls in grades K thru 8 for the 2022-2023 school year are eligible to play in the league; players are grouped into divisions based on their grade (e.g., K-2, 3-5, 6-8). The final decision on divisions will be based on the number of players in each grade that register. There are no geographic or school attendance boundaries.
Coaching is a volunteer position and training materials are provided under "FAQs, Forms, Documents". For grade K-8 teams, Head Coaches must be at least 18 years old and Assistant Coaches and Team Managers must be at least 14 years old as of March 1.
Referee is a paid position and in-person training is required. Youth referees must be at least 12 years of age as of March 1 and in grade 7. Youth referees will be assigned to games in grade divisions below their school grade. Adult referees must be at least 18 years of age as of March 1.
Player Evaluation (Combine): Saturday March 18 or Sunday March 19, depending on the weather. Players perform throwing, catching, and speed drills to determine their athletic ability. All players who attend the combine and complete payment of player fees are placed on a team. Players who do not attend the combine will be waitlisted and may be assigned to a team by the Commissioner if there is room on a team.
Practices: Start week of March 27 provided we have enough coaches in each division; Practices are held one night a week for 1.5 hours at a Herndon-area school field; Indicate your child’s available practice nights in the registration. Practices are optional during the FCPS Spring Break (April 3-7).
Games: Saturdays April 15 through June 10, depending on how many teams are in a division; Makeup and Championship games may be held on Sundays; Games are held at Herndon area sports fields.
- Registration Fee: $120
- Multi-Player Family Discounts: $10 for 2nd player; $20 for 3rd player; $30 for 4th player
- Includes one mouthguard, flag belt, game jersey, and shorts (pocketless shorts required for safety reasons)
- Player must provide own socks, cleats (no metal spikes), and water bottle
Registration Fee Payment Options
- Credit/Debit Card
- Scholarship (Fairfax County Residents Only; Player Game Jersey/Shorts payment of $40 is still required)
- Head Coach Fee Waiver (Only one child per Head Coach; Player Game Jersey/Shorts payment of $40 is still required)
Registration Fee Refunds
- If a player withdraws and notifies Registrar at least 5 days before the first game day of the season, Player Fees paid will be refunded (game uniform must be returned)
- If a player is waitlisted and not placed on a team prior to the first game day of the season, Player Fees paid will be refunded
- If a player or family is removed from the league for refusing to follow HOYFF Code of Conduct Rules or Fairfax County/HOYFF health and safety rules/protocols, no Player Fees will be refunded
- If Fairfax County or Town of Herndon cancels our access to field space, the amount of Player Fees refunded, if any, will depend on the costs already incurred by the league