Herndon Optimist Youth Flag Football (HOYFF) is a recreational, developmental youth flag football program that focuses on skill development, equitable player participation, teamwork, and good sportsmanship. Coaching is a volunteer position and training materials are provided under "FAQs, Forms, Documents".
For grade K-8 teams, Head Coaches must be at least 18 years old and Assistant Coaches and Team Managers must be at least 14 years old as of March 1, 2023. There are no fees to register as an adult volunteer, but you will be required to:
- Provide additional personal information and complete a background check before participating in HOYFF events involving youth (link will be sent to you after you register)
- Complete a youth abuse prevention online training and exam before participating in HOYFF events involving youth (link will be sent to you after you register)
- Complete the Volunteer Field Director (VFD) online training and exam by the deadline given (see link provided under "Links")
- Enforce the HOYFF Rules and Code of Conduct with your team members and spectators (see documents posted under "FAQs, Forms, Documents")
- Implement and enforce health and safety rules/protocols as specified by Fairfax County/HOYFF
- Complete team administrative tasks by the deadlines given by the league
- Attend required coaches meetings and training/clinics
- Assist with league special events (e.g., Opening Day)
Please make sure to provide your birth date when completing your member profile information. If you leave birth date blank, the system will prevent you from completing the volunteer registration because it will think you are too young to meet the age requirement. If the system indicates you are ineligible, select the "Access Your Account" menu option, sign in, and on the "Family Members" page, click on your name to access and update your member record with a birth date.
born between: 03/02/1947 and 03/01/2005